- Do Be Yourself… it might seem like you need to “act” a certain way to try and get the sorority everyone “dreams” of on campus… but this will honestly only hurt yourself in the long run. Being someone other than yourself could very well get you a bid to the sorority you have your eyes on… but later on you will learn that your true self might not get along as well with them and you could drop and then lose your one shot at finding a true sisterhood that matches with you.
- Don’t Discount an Organization… Sorority XYZ might not be what you think is your top pick based on what you’ve heard around campus–but they could be the women you are meant to be sisters with. They could be the glass slipper that fits just perfectly. You are searching for your sisterhood, not for an easy social ladder to climb.
- Do Research the Organizations… It is important to know what to expect about all the organizations before going into recruitment. Go on websites like GreekRank.com and puruse social media. What people are saying about this organization you could choose will soon be what they are saying about you.
- Don’t Take the Research Fully to Heart… While websites like GreekRank.com could give great insight. It is crucial to not take it completely seriously. This is a gossip website essentially. And while you should know what people are saying, just because it is on the internet doesn’t mean it is true. Still keep and open mind about every organization. Let the sisters show you who they are.
- Do Remember to Look Presentable… This isn’t shallow judgement, but first impressions are everything and each time you walk into that room/house you are creating a new first impression. Make sure you remembered to do your hair, brushed your teeth, sit/stand up straight, and SMILE. Your smile is beautiful and smiling makes people want to be around you. Most importantly, when you look presentable you feel more confident and therefore you will most likely feel less nervous!
- Don’t Be Afraid… It’s easy and natural to be nervous… because you are going in to a room/house full of sometimes 200+ girls depending on the school size and campus norm. Relax! Yes, they are judging you, but remember: you are judging them too. They are nervous too. Believe me, I’ve been on the active member side. It is beyond nerve racking as we line the room and began to sing/chant as you Potential New Members walk in the room. We are hoping we look okay, don’t have anything in our teeth, don’t have smelly breath–hell, we even restrict our diets during recruitment to avoid those things! You are going through this WITH the sisters you are talking to. It’s just a conversation.
- Do Remeber You Can Drop Them… Every school does a slightly different elimination process, but remember, as said in number 6, you are judging them as well. You can drop a sorority if they didn’t give you a good feeling or don’t think you will fit in. Don’t keep a sorority around just because of their reputation. Organizations are dropping you, but you are dropping them as well.
- Don’t Worry… This seems like the same thing as “don’t be afraid” but it’s not. Don’t worry. Recruitment is only a few days long and in the end it is Bid Day. There is always a chance you could end up not receiving a bid or you only receive a bid for an organization you wanted. However, remember, you can turn down a bid if you don’t want the organization. If you don’t get a bid… there are typically hundreds of campus organizations even at smaller schools. Greek life is not for everyone and don’t be ashamed if it isn’t for you. You will end up finding your niche on campus throughout the next 3-5 years there.
You are embarking on a great journey. Recruitment will be a blast. You will make friends no matter what. Keep your mind open, your knees closed, and your smiles wide. Any girl can survive recruitment because it really isn’t as daunting as it might seem.